There are a number of reasons why you might not be feeling like coming in to work. This is one the good excuses to miss work on short notice. If you have a pet emergency and can’t get to the office, send your boss a message that your pet’s condition is worsening and they need to see the vet right away. The next time your boss is looking for someone to cover and you can’t get out of bed, you’ve got to come up with a good excuse.
- He helps small businesses reach their content creation, social media marketing, email marketing, and paid advertising goals.
- If you are a bit ill , offer to come in late or leave early, depending on what you think you can manage.
- Unless you’re a teen who’s just been hired at your very first part-time job, not coming into work because you forgot you were scheduled is going to get you fired.
- In some circumstances, you could be eligible for extended leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act .
This will likely be received much more warmly by your employer and show that you are willing to push through. Keep in mind that you may need to work from home in these circumstances or arrange for some other way of completing your day’s work. Don’t use the “unexpected circumstances” excuse more than a couple of times, as these occurrences are typically quite rare.
work Excuse #11 | Caring for a sick Pet
It is not wrong for an employee to call out sick from work even if they are not physically sick but mental exhausted. “Employers need to challenge this blinkered attitude, both for their own benefit as well as that of their employees,” said Glen Parkinson of AXA PPP Healthcare. Our free guide has everything you need to stay healthy this season. If you work around or will be exposed to infants, older adults. Or people with compromised immune systems, you should not go to work with any type of illness that might be contagious.
U.S. workers want to take more time off from their jobs and are increasingly turning to the internet to find credible reasons to do so. If you are sending it the day of an absence, send the email in the morning, before the official start time at your company.
How to Get a Stress Leave From Work
In this article, we’ll cover which excuses for missing work won’t raise any eyebrows, and which are likely to make a bad impression. While everyone thinks about personal illness as their go-to excuse for missing work, an illness in the family is just as good of an excuse. Anyone who’s had to care for a sick child knows that it’s a full-time job. You can’t call out of work because of boredom or the absence of ambition that day.
- In some cases, you may even qualify for up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off under the Family and Medical Leave Act .
- Often referred to as work lawyers, employment lawyers are attorneys who specialize in employment law and represent workers in all positions across many industries.
- Regardless of workers’ stress, employers are expected to ramp up efforts to bring people back on site.
- This excuse doesn’t work if you take public transportation to the office, but if you drive there, it’s a perfectly legitimate reason not to go into work.
- However, if you simply got to bed late or are feeling groggy, that’s not a valid or professional reason for missing work.
It could be a sudden illness, injury from an accident, or another devastating event. In some circumstances, reasons to call out of work you could be eligible for extended leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act .